How AMAZING was the ‘Criminal Minds’ finale?! SO awesome that I think it’s totally kicked CSI:NY from the #1 spot on my list of favourite TV shows (for the moment) which is a big deal especially since there’s no shipping aspect to CM and I didn’t think I was at the same level of obsession as I am with CSI:NY. CM’s definitely the best crime drama at the moment.
Do you know what you’re all doing this summer? You’re going to give the CSIs a rest and try out this fantastic but under-rated crime show because it’s BRILLIANT and about the only show who has managed to have its best season this year rounded off with a stellar finale. Gripping case? Check. Great guest-stars that are characterised well and serve a purpose? Check. Character development for the main cast? Check. Romance? Check. Keeps you sitting on the edge of your seat? Check. Shocking? Check. Gun fire? Check. Explosion? Check. New York? Check. NYPD/FBI Field Office/BAU politics? Check. Token guest-star with a snotty British accent? Check. Token team bonding moment? Check. Check.
What’s even more impressive is that it ends on a gigantic cliffhanger which if I hadn’t cheated and watched the end at the start, I would well and truly not have seen coming, not to mention it’s completely open ended. Hell, you don’t even know which character you should be freaking out for!
I think cast changes can go either way. I loved the original cast with Elle and Gideon but I think the reason this season rocked so much was they finally created the perfect team dynamic. It’s like when Lindsay/Anna joined CSI:NY and there was that click (imho) and it’s the same with Emily Prentiss and now I even like Rossi who I wasn’t sure of at first. Also due to the nature of the show, it’s quite dark but now they usually have some lighter moments with the team joking around with each other and stuff and you have that strong friendship element that I think was missing from Season 1.
I think the thing that was amazing is that in 42 minutes they managed to make you like/care/have some sort of opinion about 4 different extra characters (5 if you include Will …): 2 detectives, NYFBI Field Office supervisor and the NYPD tech whilst still give a few of the main cast an important central role ….. Emily, Morgan, JJ and Hotch mainly.
Then all the different relationship (not just in the romantic sense) dynamics set up and explored …… Hotch/Kate Joyner, Emily/Det. Cooper, Morgan/Hotch/Joyner, JJ/Will, Rossi/Morgan, NYPD/FBI, Garcia/NYPD lab tech ….
I have to say I liked Will in this episode, he was sweet and the fact he’s going to give up his job for JJ and the baby! Now I presume that JJ’s not going to give up going into the field all together (I hope not anyway) so I hope him begging her to give up her job isn’t going to be a thing they keep coming back to even after the baby’s born (although I can understand why he would!) ….. Oh when he and JJ told the team she was pregnant! Awwwwwh!
The Emily/Detective scene where she profiled him was cute and funny! She saw right through him! I also like how you can see that although she’s trying to profile and analyse she’s still in shock when she’s talking to JJ and Morgan.
I can totally understand Morgan reacting how he did and perhaps this Kate person is the one who is in the exploding car/will be sacked meaning that he has to decide if he really does want the job.
Have to say I never saw the whole terrorist angle coming. The thing with Criminal Minds is that there’s only so many different types of serial killer so sometimes a few of the cases seem repetitive/easy to figure out but I think they’ve steered away from the terrorist plot (not including the whole Guantanamo Bay prison episode) before to save it for a finale. It’s definitely going to be interesting to see how they manage to find and stop the cell.
There are many more things that made this episode great so when I rewatch the episode I shall probably add to this post.
And now for the ending …….. Surely surely surely they’re not going to kill off one of the main cast / make one of them so severely injured they won’t be able to work ever again/for a really really long time????!!!! They can’t do that! No no no no! I don’t think any of the cast want to leave? And the show really doesn’t need another cast overhaul now that they’ve got the perfect group. Oh.
~~Option A …. The car exploding kills/severely hurts (and thus will not be in episodes for awhile …) an important character:
– I don’t think it’ll be Garcia since she’s already been traumatised enough this season and relatively recently.
– I don’t think it’ll be Reid since he’s also already had massive trauma/storylines (of course this doesn’t mean anything. Look at Mac in CSI:NY …..)
– Probably not Emily since she already had quite a central role in this episode. Unless of course the fact she killed one of their men means that they want to punish her….. I also don’t think it’s her because she drove her car to the hospital and it appears she only got out for a bit to talk to the detective, not enough time to rig her car with explosives and I don’t think she was far away to not have noticed someone tampering with it.
– Morgan also played quite a central role in this episode which either means it’s set-up for this or it’s not likely to be him.
– Could be JJ/Will if AJ Cook wants to leave the show/have a long maternity leave. Man I hope not though.
– I think it might be Kate Joyner …. in which case Hotch must get hurt too?
~~Option B …. It’s a completely different car to those shown in the end montage and therefore not a known/important character:
– It is a possibility since shows have been known to deliberately mislead its viewers and doing what they did keeps the viewers guessing for the whole summer / longing for the return of the show. However if this is the case hardcore fans will be relieved but maybe casual viewers/critics will feel let down / that it’s an anti-climax if one of the main characters isn’t killed or hurt.
~~ Option C … The character gets to the car but forgets something and is just walking away when the car explodes so is hurt but not too severely:
– In this case it could be any of the characters affected but I think I still stand by the same logic used for Option A.
I’m definitely going to rewatch the whole series over the summer and hopefully make the hiatus speed by.