I have finally gotten round to finishing up the final season of what was once one of my favourite show. Why did it take so long? I really hated watching the destruction of Joel/Julia and I didn’t think much of Hank so it took me awhile to work up the desire to sit through the hard times to get to the inevitable happy ending.
Before we get to the season finale, some general thoughts about the season:
- I really don’t care about Drew ever since he started having girlfriend issues
- Max’s dilemma with Dillon was interesting but dragged on too long and took up too much screentime
- I can’t stand Hank’s daughter
- I can’t believe I’m saying it but Hank really really grew on me
- I hate how much of this season was taken up with Max and Hank’s daughter Ruby. Hardly saw Victor, Jabbar etc.
- I have very strong negative feelings that Crosby still keeps cannabis in his drawer and smoke it
- Love that Joel/Julia got back together eventually and even though it wasn’t smooth-sailing, you believe they are going to make it this time
- Joel’s smile. Gahhhhh!
Onto the finale ….
Wow, there are a lot of similarities between Brothers & Sisters and Parenthood but you have to smile at the symmetry between both family shows ending with the second marriage of one of the sisters and like every good finale had epic use of montage.
I knew before I even started the season that Zeek would end up dying but I thought it would happen at least a couple episodes before the end but it’s nice they kept it til the very end but still had time to show life post-Zeek.
My favourite things:
- Joel/Julia adopting another baby (Victor’s half-sister) – did NOT see that coming
- Hank asking Drew to be his best man
- Haddy! Gosh I’ve missed her!
- The montage with everyone getting their photos taken at the wedding
- The baseball montage
And as to the flashforward scenes?
- Joel/Julia adopt/have ANOTHER baby?! Little bit overkill.
- I love that everyone starts wearing glasses / gets a new pair of glasses to signify the fact it’s the future
- Glad that the Luncheonette is still going strong
- I can’t believe that Amber did not end up with Ryan! That is scandalous! Love that they got Scott Porter though to be her new guy though. EPIC Friday Night Lights fandom collision – in fact all the FNL guest-stars have been one of my favourite things about the show